Re: Floor Loading on Plywood

APA's Engineered Wood Construction Guide (APA Form E30, Rev. 1/01) has a table
on plywood sheathing recommendations for heavy-duty floors under rolling loads
such as fork-lift traffic (Table15).  The recommendations are based on
individual wheel loading and tire tread width, as well as support spans
(minimum nominal 3" wide supports).  Such plywood floors would be strong enough
to resist the rolling wheel loads, so long as the floor is placed over supports
as noted, or fully supported on a steel deck.  But what concerns me in your
application is the statement that the existing steel floor deck is not strong
enough to support the loads without permanent deflection.  In that case,
temporary scaffolding supports may be needed beneath the floor to support the
steel floor deck and the applied loads.

If enough temporary support is added, then maybe thinner plywood (such as
23/32") could be used to distribute the rolling wheel loads to a larger area of
floor deck, and thus overcome the deck deflection directly under the wheels.
But the steel deck and temporary supports would need to be adequate to support
the wheel loads.

John Rose
APA (Retired)
Tacoma, WA