Re: EUROPEAN/GERMAN CONCRETE MIX DESIGNS/SPECIFICATIONS

DIN 1045 referes to beta sub w and beta sub  w is base on the prism strength. it slightly differs with the cylindrical strength. The German DIN 1045 is not the same as EC 2.

>>> epapag(--nospam--at)tee.gr 09/25/02 10:45AM >>>
Dear Sirs :

B25 according to german code DIN 1045 does mean a concrete with a
compressive strength of 25 MPa.
But one should take into account that concrete compressive strength
according to DIN 1045 is determined by testing cubic specimens, 200x200x200
mm, and not cylindrical ones, 6"x12"=150x300 mm, as specified by EC2 and ACI
codes. Further, in DIN 1045 and EC2,  the carachteristic compressive
strength of concrete is statistically defined as that value of strength
below of which 5% of all possible strength measurements of the specified
concrete are expected to fall.(this strength is the 95%-fractile).
I think that according to ACI above percentage of low strength specimens is
10% instead of 5%.
In addition to above differences the curing of the specimens to be tested is
not the same between the codes and this has also some influence in the test
results.strength acc
Therefore in order to find the eqivalent concrete ording to ACI, one should
convert the cubic to cylinder strength multiplying it with 0.80 (approx.)
and then convert the 95%-fractile to 90%-fractile multiplying it with
1.05-1.10 (depending on the value of the coefficient of variation V - for
more details see ACI 214).
Concluding we can say that "german concrete" B25 is equivalent to an "ACI
concrete" with
f'c=25*0.80*1.07=21.4 MPa = 21.4*(units conv. factor=145)=3100 psi.

HTH

Stathis Papageorgiou
Athens, Greece