From: DRPFLY(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:DRPFLY(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 12:33 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Commercial Bldg. - Second Floor Loads

Hello all you engineers who design commercial buildings all day long.

I am designing the beams for a mezzanine in a commercial building and I
am
confused about what loads I should use.
        Floor DL = 14 psf
        Floor LL =  100 psf
        Partitions = 20 psf
The floor framing is 14" TJL (open-web) at 16" o.c..  I talked to the
Trus-Joist rep. yesterday and he said he designs the trusses using only
(14 +
100) psf (no partition load) because live load and partitions cannot
occupy
the same space.  Makes sense to me.  So do I design my beams with the
same
load criteria or use (14 + 20 + 100) psf ??  Don't laugh.  This is
serious.
I usually design one-story residences and it's been a long time since my
last
commercial job.
Plus, I called another engineer in the area and got conflicting
information.

TIA,
Denise Poeltler, P.E.
The Flying Buttress