Re: Commercial Bldg. - Second Floor Loads

With a live load of 100 psf you generally don't need to consider the weight of partitions. See ASCE 7-95(or better!) 4.2.2 for more details.

Reza Dashti P.Eng.
Vancouver,BC

From: DRPFLY(--nospam--at)aol.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Commercial Bldg. - Second Floor Loads
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:32:37 EDT

Hello all you engineers who design commercial buildings all day long.

I am designing the beams for a mezzanine in a commercial building and I am
confused about what loads I should use.
        Floor DL = 14 psf
        Floor LL =  100 psf
        Partitions = 20 psf
The floor framing is 14" TJL (open-web) at 16" o.c..  I talked to the
Trus-Joist rep. yesterday and he said he designs the trusses using only (14 +
100) psf (no partition load) because live load and partitions cannot occupy
the same space.  Makes sense to me.  So do I design my beams with the same
load criteria or use (14 + 20 + 100) psf ??  Don't laugh.  This is serious.
I usually design one-story residences and it's been a long time since my last
commercial job.
Plus, I called another engineer in the area and got conflicting information.

TIA,
Denise Poeltler, P.E.
The Flying Buttress