RE: Washer requirements for steel to steel bolted connections

Now a word from our sponsor ....AISC:
You really need to get the 3rd Edition AISC Manual of Steel Construction
LRFD.  It has the June 23, 2000 RCSC.  This single document is the most
important document since the printing press was invented!  OK.... I may have
overstated it.

You could also go the cheap route and click on http://www.boltcouncil.org/,
and download the free June 23, 2000 RCSC.

However you get it, go to the RCSC Section 6 "Use of Washers".  It explains
it all complete with commentary.  You have to pay attention.  There are
cases where you have to use a plate washer in lieu of the standard F436
washer.

Specifically to your query: "The ASD Specification for Structural Joints
Using ASTM A325 or A490 bolts (Pg. 5-263 of the Manual of Steel
Construction) " is only applicable to A325 or A490 bolts. However, "steel
specification section J3.2c, d, and e in the Ninth Edition of the AISC
Manual of Steel Construction (ASD)" is general and applicable to ALL bolts.
The 9th Edition ASD referenced from the November 13, 1985 RCSC.  The 9th
Edition is dated.

There are no specific ASD washer requirements for A307 bolts other than
J3.2.c, d, and e of which I am aware, but then the applicability of A307
bolts is fairly limited and will only be for bearing bolts.

It is worth noting that the 3rd Edition AISC Manual of Steel Construction
LRFD has some specific requirements for anchor rod washers in Table 14-2
that are applicable to ASD or LRFD.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague