From: da [mailto:dadie(--nospam--at)sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 5:40 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: nds dowel bearing strength

this question is in regards to the 97 nds.  there is a bolt table for
single
shear connections to concrete.  the footnote states that the table uses
an
Fem value of 6000 psi for concrete with f'c = 2000 psi.  the publication
which derives the dowel bearing strengths states that the Fem value for
concrete is 3 * f'c.

my questions are:

1.  have any of you extrapolated this value for "typical" concrete
strengths?
ie - Fem = 12,000 psi for f'c = 4000 psi

2.  have any of you extrapolated this value for cmu?
ie - Fem = 3 * f'm
ie - Fem = 4,500 psi for f'm = 1500 psi

tia
da