Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: What Design Standard For Signs?

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]


You need to look at those UBC Tables a little closer.  For wind Table 16-H Item 7 addresses "SIGNS, flagpoles, lightpoles...." and for seismic Table 16-P Item 9 addresses "SIGNS and billboards".  You may be screwed for shear walls less than 10 feet but well covered for sign supports :>)

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Bill Polhemus" <bill(--nospam--at)>

09/25/2002 07:13 PM
Please respond to seaint

        To:        <seaint(--nospam--at)>
        Subject:        What Design Standard For Signs?

This is a question regarding commercial signage and sign supports.

Are these governed by building code(s)? It occurs to me that BUILDING codes
are just that: Codes that govern the construction of BUILDINGS, which of
course a sign is not.

Highway signage is governed (typically) by AASHTO's sign standard, but I
don't see how this would apply for a commercial sign which may or may not be
close to a roadway, and is most likely on private property.

Anyone have a clue?

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
*   site at:
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********