RE: Washer requirements for steel to steel bolted connections

Thank you for your clear and concise responses Charlie
and Harold !

>The steel specification section J3.2c, d, and e in The
>Ninth Edition of the AISC Manual of Steel Construction
>(ASD) states specifically that washer shall be used
with
>bolts in oversized holes, short-slotted holes, and long-
>slotted holes.  But no mention of whether washers
should
>be used with bolts in standard holes.
>The ASD Specification for Structural Joints Using ASTM
>A325 or A490 bolts (Pg. 5-263 of the Manual of Steel
>Construction) does have very specific washer
>requirements for bolted connections using these bolts.
>Does this mean that washers are not required in steel
>steel connections for bolts in standard holes that are
>not A325 or A490?

It depends. Take a look at Section 6 of the 2000 RCSC
Specification, which is available as a free download
here:

    http://www.boltcouncil.org/

It has very clear guidance as to when washers are (and
are not) required -- and what type of washer is required
when a washer is required. I'd go into more detail here,
but there are too many conditionals to do it. The
language is fairly explicit. And you can let me know if
you have any further questions.

Charlie

Now a word from our sponsor ....AISC:
You really need to get the 3rd Edition AISC Manual of
Steel Construction LRFD.  It has the June 23, 2000
RCSC.  This single document is the most important
document since the printing press was invented!  OK....
I may have overstated it.

You could also go the cheap route and click on
http://www.boltcouncil.org/, and download the free June
23, 2000 RCSC.

However you get it, go to the RCSC Section 6 "Use of
Washers".  It explains it all complete with commentary.
You have to pay attention.  There are cases where you
have to use a plate washer in lieu of the standard F436
washer.

Specifically to your query: "The ASD Specification for
Structural Joints Using ASTM A325 or A490 bolts (Pg. 5-
263 of the Manual of Steel
Construction) " is only applicable to A325 or A490
bolts. However, "steel specification section J3.2c, d,
and e in the Ninth Edition of the AISC Manual of Steel
Construction (ASD)" is general and applicable to ALL
bolts. The 9th Edition ASD referenced from the November
13, 1985 RCSC.  The 9th Edition is dated.

There are no specific ASD washer requirements for A307
bolts other than J3.2.c, d, and e of which I am aware,
but then the applicability of A307 bolts is fairly
limited and will only be for bearing bolts.

It is worth noting that the 3rd Edition AISC Manual of
Steel Construction LRFD has some specific requirements
for anchor rod washers in Table 14-2 that are applicable
to ASD or LRFD.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague

bolted connections

> The steel specification section J3.2c, d, and e in The
> Ninth Edition of the AISC Manual of Steel Construction
> (ASD) states specifically that washer shall be used
with
> bolts in oversized holes, short-slotted holes, and
long-
> slotted holes.  But no mention of whether washers
should
> be used with bolts in standard holes.
>
> The ASD Specification for Structural Joints Using ASTM
> A325 or A490 bolts (Pg. 5-263 of the Manual of Steel
> Construction) does have very specific washer
> requirements for bolted connections using these
bolts.
> Does this mean that washers are not required in steel
> steel connections for bolts in standard holes that are
> not A325 or A490?

***
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server.
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any
email you
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-
posted
********