Re: Commercial Bldg. - Second Floor Loads

Denise,

In regard to the design of floor supports for mezzanines in a commercial building, the practise in Ontario is
to look at what the mezzanine is to be used for.  If it is for assembly purposes, you have to design for 100
psf min.  Hence, my understanding is that the area would be relatively open?  You choose whether to allow 20
psf for any partitions which may be built, but whose locations are unknown or, if the partition locations are
known, then design for the actual weight.

The term mezzanine is rather vague.  In a commercial building, a mezzanine could be used for storage (100 psf
min.) or maybe even archival storage.  For archival storage, I would design for 150-200 psf or more and
forget about the  partitions.

If it is intended for, say, additional open office space, it could
theoretically be designed for 50 psf live load and 20 psf partition
allowance.  You would have to be able to justify this, as the building officials know that the use of
mezzanines can change and they tend to want 100 psf live load min.  I don't think they would accept 80 + 20
if it is apparent that partitions may be installed in the future.

Incidentally, wouldn't the floor in a commercial building be concrete?  Your dead load of 14 psf is low, or
is that just the superimosed dead load.

Gary L. Hodgson, P.Eng.
Niagara Falls, ON