Re: What Design Standard For Signs?

There are some pretty big signs here in Las Vegas and the code which provides a greater level of design guidelines is ASCE's 7-98 "Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures.  If the sign is big, say over 100'-0" tall then it begins to fall under the guidelines for tall buildings with regards to lateral loads.  A deflection limit of L/50 is common for sign design.  I hope this helps.