RE: Commercial Bldg. - Second Floor Loads

Hi Denise,
The dogs are doing well - old Jake needs to be carried in and out some
of the time, but the light in his "smile" prevents us from doing any
more than keeping him happy. He is now about 16-years old which is
ancient for a Golden Retriever. The other four are still like puppy's
except for Jess - my eleven year old Lab/Rott. She is having some
problems with fatty tumors and arthritis - fortunately nothing serious.
We recently took her with us on our two week trip of Arizona and New
Mexico. We had a house sitter for the other dogs.

I don't think the other members of the list care about my dogs, but
please write and let me know how your pups are doing. A friend brought
home a bloodhound pup nearly a year ago. Jed is now as tall as my Labs
and equally as active. Your pups (if my failing memory serves me
correctly) should be about two or three by now. I hope all is well with
you.

I think your decision is a sound one. There are plenty of sections in
the code that need interpretation and are not clear. You are doing your
client a service to be conservative in this regard and assure that the
beams are designed for the additional partition load. As long as the
depth does not become restrictive, the cost to add the additional
tributary load based on partition loading should not add a lot to the
project and is worth it.

If you are dealing with Enrica Lima then please say hello for me. You
can order commercial grade Parallams and specify a camber in case you
need to reduce the depth due to calculated deflection. I put a
commercial grade Parallam into a home in Avondale Country Club and had
it ordered with a camber. It took a bit longer to get, but did the job
nicely.

I'm not sure if the case we are both working on has been resolved as
yet, but it sure would be nice to talk to you again even if we have to
avoid talking about the case. I think I understand why doctors don't do
expert witness work were they represent opposing sides - it puts a
strain on professional relationships especially in such a small town as
ours.

Again, hope all is well with you and hope we can talk soon.

Best Regards,
Dennis