From: Lutz, James [mailto:JLUTZ(--nospam--at)earthtech.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 5:23 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Concrete Code Interpretation

In ACI-318, section 10.5, if flexural steel ratio provided is less than
200/fy, you can only use 75% of the computed moment capacity. However, in
paragraph 10.5.4, a lower minimum steel ratio is provided for slabs and
footings per section 7.12. My question is this, can you ignore the 200/fy
requirement and still use the full computed moment capacity for a slab on
grade as long as you meet the minimums in 7.12? I am reviewing an existing,
lightly-reinforced thick concrete pad for possible mounting of some heavy
equipment. It computes if I can avoid taking the discount for the low steel
ratio.

Jim Lutz, P.E., S.E.
Earth Tech, Inc.

10800 NE 8th Street - 7th Floor