Re: Commercial Bldg. - Second Floor Loads

Denise,

In regard to the design of floor supports for mezzanines in a commercial building, the practise in Ontario is to look at
what the mezzanine is to be used for.  If it is for assembly purposes, you have to design for 100 psf min.  Hence, my
understanding is that the area would be relatively open?  You choose whether to allow 20 psf for any partitions which may
be built, but whose locations are unknown or, if the partition locations are known, then design for the actual weight.

The term mezzanine is rather vague.  In a commercial building, a mezzanine could be used for storage (100 psf min.) or
maybe even archival storage.  For archival storage, I would design for 150-200 psf or more and forget about the
partitions.

If it is intended for, say, additional open office space, it could theoretically be designed for 50 psf live load and 20
psf partition allowance.  You would have to be able to justify this, as the building officials know that the use of
mezzanines can change and they tend to want 100 psf live load min.  I don't think they would accept 80 + 20 if it is
apparent that partitions may be installed in the future.

Incidentally, wouldn't the floor in a commercial building be concrete?  Your dead load of 14 psf is low, or is that just
the superimosed dead load.

Gary L. Hodgson, P.Eng. Niagara Falls, ON

> Hello all you engineers who design commercial buildings all day
long.  >
> I am designing the beams for a mezzanine in a commercial building
and I > am confused about what loads I should use.
>         Floor DL = 14 psf
>         Floor LL =  100 psf
>         Partitions = 20 psf
> The floor framing is 14" TJL (open-web) at 16" o.c..  I talked to
the > Trus-Joist rep. yesterday and he said he designs the trusses using
only > (14
> +
> 100) psf (no partition load) because live load and partitions
cannot > occupy

> the same space.  Makes sense to me.  So do I design my beams with
the > same load criteria or use (14 + 20 + 100) psf ??  Don't laugh.
This is > serious.

> I usually design one-story residences and it's been a long time
since my > last commercial job. Plus, I called another engineer in the area
and got > conflicting information.