From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 6:13 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: What Design Standard For Signs?

This is a question regarding commercial signage and sign supports.

Are these governed by building code(s)? It occurs to me that BUILDING codes
are just that: Codes that govern the construction of BUILDINGS, which of
course a sign is not.

Highway signage is governed (typically) by AASHTO's sign standard, but I
don't see how this would apply for a commercial sign which may or may not be
close to a roadway, and is most likely on private property.

Anyone have a clue?