From: Dennis Wish [mailto:dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 7:49 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Residential Design Discussions

Paul,
Exactly my point. If the plan checker is doing his job properly, he
should reject the opinion of SEAOC. This doesn't mean that I agree with
him as I would have designed with the same opinions as you. Still, the
law is the law and if we want something different it is the
responsibility of the professional community to change the law. This
means that we have to make a concerted effort as a group of engineers
united who design residential to identify the problems and to institute
change.
SEAOC is a professional corporation that someone reminded me, can not
act outside of the welfare of their members. If they refuse to make the
changes, then I would suggest that those members who design residential
structures leave SEA and force change by hitting them where it hurts -
in the renewal of membership fees. I left SEAOC two years ago and don't
intend to rejoin until change has occurred and they act in the best
interest of their members.
When the issue is related to wood design (residential specifically) then
they should not dilute the "vote" by those who never design wood. They
need to address the issues about residential construction and wood
framing with those who actually design wood structures and who are
active on the Seismology Committee.

Without unity of members there is nothing left but to be railroaded into
a code that is virtually impossible to comply with in a high risk region
and one that is definitely not in the best interest of the homeowner or
the real-estate industry. Wait until they come knocking on your door to
ask to remodel a recently designed home and there are no existing
framing plans or structural calculations to identify the shear walls and
load path based on rotation through the horizontal diaphragms or some
manner of an envelope solution.

Dennis S. Wish, PE
Join the residential Listservice of the Structuralist.Net
http://64.119.172.143/mailman/listinfo/residential_structuralist.net