RE: Expansion Joints in Water Retaining Structures

My preferred method at existing structures is to use a construction joint
with an expansive waterstop at the interface with the existing structure and
then create an expansion joint with bulbed waterstop in the new concrete a
few feet away from the existing structure.

You could look at Sika Combiflex, Jeene Joint, Adeka Ultraseal, and DeNeef
Injecto Tube waterstops for an expansion joint directly at the existing
structure, if the above option is not feasible. Or you might be able to cut
a slot into the existing concrete and epoxy grout a bulbed waterstop into
the concrete.

William C. Sherman, PE
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311