Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: seaint Digest for 26 Sep 2002

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

I agree with Rick.  BOCA building code (applicable in VA) has specific wind
load design criteria for all types of signs.


4                                Message:0004                            4
Subject: Re: What Design Standard For Signs?
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)>
From: Rick.Drake(--nospam--at)

In most States, you can check with the local jurisdiction for their
requirements.  Lacking input from them, I would design for ASCE 7 wind
loads, ACI 318 for concrete members, and AISC LRFD for steel members.


Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA


                    "Bill Polhemus"
                    <bill@polhemus.      To:     <seaint(--nospam--at)>
                    09/25/02 07:13       cc:
                    Please respond       Subject:     What Design Standard
For Signs?
                    to seaint


This is a question regarding commercial signage and sign supports.

Are these governed by building code(s)? It occurs to me that BUILDING codes
are just that: Codes that govern the construction of BUILDINGS, which of
course a sign is not.

Highway signage is governed (typically) by AASHTO's sign standard, but I
don't see how this would apply for a commercial sign which may or may not
close to a roadway, and is most likely on private property.

Anyone have a clue?

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********