Subject: Re: What Design Standard For Signs?
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
From: Rick.Drake(--nospam--at)Fluor.com

In most States, you can check with the local jurisdiction for their
requirements.  Lacking input from them, I would design for ASCE 7 wind
loads, ACI 318 for concrete members, and AISC LRFD for steel members.

Regards,

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

*********

                    "Bill Polhemus"
                    <bill@polhemus.      To:     <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                    cc>
                    09/25/02 07:13       cc:
                    PM
                    Please respond       Subject:     What Design Standard
For Signs?
                    to seaint

This is a question regarding commercial signage and sign supports.

Are these governed by building code(s)? It occurs to me that BUILDING codes
are just that: Codes that govern the construction of BUILDINGS, which of
course a sign is not.

Highway signage is governed (typically) by AASHTO's sign standard, but I
don't see how this would apply for a commercial sign which may or may not
be
close to a roadway, and is most likely on private property.

Anyone have a clue?