RE: A seismic question with no (easy) answer?!

I haven't had any responses to my post, but I think I came up with a
satisfactory answer to my question about seismic pounding at expansion
joints.  Here it is:

Section 1620.3.6 requires that buildings that are SCD "D" and higher be
designed so that they are separated from adjoining structures by the
square root of the sum of the squares of the deflections of each of the
adjoining structures.  This provision is a "detailing" requirement in
Section 1620.  If I "read between the lines" I guess I could infer from
this requirement that pounding for SDC "A", "B" and "C" buildings can be
ignored. This seems to make sense. Just because buildings pound during
an earthquake does not mean that they are going to have severe damage.
The level of damage that might occur on SDC "A", "B" and "C" buildings
would probably be acceptable. This is because these buildings are either
buildings in lesser restrictive Seismic Use Groups in regions of
moderate or high seismicity or are buildings in the more "important"
SUG's in areas of low seismicity. It would not make sense to require an
office building in Philadelphia (where there has never been seismic
damage to any building structure) to meet the same prohibitions against
pounding that are required of an office building in San Francisco.

I looked at a number of photos of pounding damage that occurred on some
buildings in California during the Loma Prieta earthquake and these
photos reinforce my opinion that I am on the right track with my
conclusion. "Pounding" does not equal "collapse". Of course if I was
designing a building in an area of low seismicity (for instance,
Philadelphia) I would still want to keep building separations
sufficiently wide to prevent slab edges from "knifing" columns if I had
conditions where adjacent floors did not align. I am still not sure what
the answer is to expansion joint widths in building facade elements. The
expansion joint gap should probably be wide for facade components such
as precast panels, but I would think light-weight facades such as EIFS
panels could have smaller expansion (seismic joint widths). The
consequences of pounding precast panels would be more severe than the
consequences of lightweight facade elements pounding.

Sound reasonable?

Cliff Schwinger

--