RE: IBC "Oops" (Was Residential Design Discussion)

>In short, if a tree is sick, sometimes it
>is necessary to cut out the root to make
>it better. My point is that there is more
>"power" than you give Bob Bachman and the
>other members of the SEAOC Seismology Committee
>who are now involved in the committees that
>participate in the ICC committees than you
>give them credit for.

>From my own personal experience, Rick Drake and Scott Maxwell have done a
good job of describing how things happen with codes these days. Frankly, I'm
not sure the tree is sick. It may be healthier than ever as individuals
(almost always less wise than groups of qualified individuals) now have less
power to influence than in the old days.

Regardless, it will always be the case that the world is run by the people
who show up. And perhaps we should be thanking the Bob Bachmans and Ron
Hamburgers of the world because they always show up and do the best they
possibly can for us and the public.

Charlie