RE: IBC "Oops" (Was Residential Design Discussion)

Charlie's take on this is accurate.  There were impediments to seismic code
development in the old process.  Ron Hamburger and Bob Bachman were
instrumental in moving seismic code development into the FEMA sponsored BSSC
process.  FEMA and BSSC were very influential in opening up the process.
One of the major changes in the BSSC process was to provide more input from
areas outside California.  Granted, most of the brain trust in seismic code
development was in California.  But there was also a strong contingent of
"We've always done it that way".

It is an interesting process in which to participate.  The creative portion
takes place in the BSSC Technical Subcommittees and in the BSSC Provisions
Update Committee.  The crossing of the t's and dotting of the i's takes
place in the ASCE 7, and Code Resource Development Committee.  The process
is very responsive to change due to research or real world lessons learned.

We are indeed much better with the participation of Bob Bachman and Ron
Hamburger.  Loring Wylie was another major influence on the BSSC PUC until
he maxed out his number of terms allowed.  For years, Loring was my weather
vane.  If he supported a proposal, it had a high likelihood of passing the
full PUC.  If Loring voted against it, the proposal was generally doomed.  I
developed many proposals that were made better by the input from Bob
Bachman, Ron Hamburger, and Loring Wylie.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague