Re: TJI Trusjoist Beam Program review

Half of the people in my office can not install the TJ program v6.02.  They used EZcal in lieu of TJ.  EZ_Cal can run glue-lam.  It's very eay to use + it's extreamly easy to down load and install the program required only one "click".  If you want to try out the software, click the E-Z Calc below

Version 6.1 of E-Z Calc, a computer program (PC) for sizing EWP products, is downloadable from this site to registered users. ECalc EZ Calc

 David Merrick wrote:

I tried to use the truss joist beam program (6.02)

It is not worth using. Please further comment if there is more to be said or corrected.

To check one complex loaded beam (a reason to use a program) with seismic options. We need to run the same program eight times. To check for the Wind we need to run the program an additional four times. To print out the results, 2 pages per run results in 24 pages of printed calculations.

I have found Pframe to be able to run all load cases at one time. The load cases and varying section properties can be stored for the next analysis.

I have heard Enercalc also reduces the paper work. As I recall, there is no option for vertical reactions for earthquake.

I have TEDDS, but it takes on a life of its own to learn.

For the alternative basic load criteria in the 1997 UBC and having seismic vertical reactions. Assuming all seismic input is reduced by 1.4

TJI checks the following three equations...

    1. D+L+Lr
    2. D+L+E (increases stress allowable 1.33)
    3. And the following are not checked...

    4. Snow option not reviewed, someone, please comment
    5. Snow option not reviewed, someone, please comment
    6. Snow option not reviewed, someone, please comment
      1. 0.9D+E
    1. 1.2D+0.5L+Em (to achieve the ultimate stress check reduce loads by 1.33/1.7)
    2. 0.9D+Em (to achieve the ultimate stress check reduce loads by 1.33/1.7)

Additionally, the seismic loads are not checked for the reversed direction. The Em equations are needed or else we are not in a zone 3 or 4 and there are not vertical seismic reactions on a beam. Equation 12-23 can be run for wind but, like seismic, not for the reverse direction and not for uplift resistance.

David Merrick, SE