RE: Want some OT ???

Title: Want some OT ???
One thing I learned working overtime at the Building Department, why take a dump if you aren't getting paid time and a half for it?
-----Original Message-----
From: Gerard Madden, PE [mailto:gmadden(--nospam--at)attbi.com]
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 1:10 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Want some OT ???

I thought this was funny... from San Francisco Chronicle. For the entire article :

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/09/30/BA164650.DTL

MORE THERE THERE: Oakland firefighters may bring in some big overtime -- but it's nothing compared with planning bureaucrat Kenny Lau, who pulled down an astonishing $276,549 in salary, OT and other pay last year, according to city records.

Included in the breakdown: $77,261 in salary -- and $190,647 in overtime.

Lau's take-home was even more than the $253,495 paid to City Manager Robert Bobb.

And more than double the $126,600 paid to Mayor Jerry Brown.

So who is Lau, and how does he do it?

"That's a good question," says his boss, William Claggett, the $173,627-a-year director of Oakland's Economic and Community Development Agency.

Lau is one of a half-dozen plan checkers assigned to review residential and office building plans.

And a very popular one at that with developers, whose fees for expediting reviews more than cover Lau's overtime.

"They specifically request Kenny Lau because he's extremely thorough, very knowledgeable and goes much faster than other people," Claggett said.

"Our feeling is, if they're willing to pay and he's willing to do it, then why not?"

When we pointed out that Lau would have to be working virtually around the clock to earn that kind of money, Claggett scratched his head.

"I'll have to get back to you on that," he said.

By the way, Lau did not return our calls seeking comment. But then, his boss describes him as extremely shy.

I wonder what Mr. Lau thinks of Rho ? :>)

-gerard

Santa Clara, CA