RE: IBC "Oops" (Was Residential Design Discussion)

Charlie,
I respect you and your involvement with the members of this professional
community emmensly. However, you can't possibly understand the depth of
the issues until you have designed a few homes in high risk regions.
These still represent the greatest percentage of homes that have forced
the Insurance industry out of California and have caused equal dollar
values in damages in the Hurricane prone areas of the country.
As I mentioned to another engineer who chooses to write privately,
seismic problems are not the only issue as homes designed on small lots
located in wind regions with 70 or 80-mph wind gusts and exposure B or C
will calculate an uplift on walls that the prescriptive methods ignore.
While we may praise Bob Bachman or Ron Hamburger for their work on the
Seismology committee related to steel, masonry and concrete - I would
not disagree with you. However, there are many engineers who have worked
on the wood sub-committee who disagree with the Seismology Committee and
whose recommendations where simply dismissed by the seismology
committee.
So that we don't think that I have brought many of these issues to the
attention of the Seismology Committee and to John Shipp and Ron
Hamburger - I'll be happy to provide a 34 -page letter documenting every
issue on the table with wood design that I personal sent to the
Seismology Committee in 1999 and for which I received no response.

I'm sorry to disagree, but the work of these men has been to issues
other than wood and in my opinion for the benefit of the firms they
worked for at the time. I can't comment the same on Bob Bachman as I
don't really know him as I do Ron Hamburger, Martin Johnson, John Shipp
and the other employees of ABS Consulting which was previously EQE
Engineering. I personally feel their activities have been unethical and
motivated for the benefit of their company's present and future global
activty in Risk Management.

I hope you follow up on my comments and do some research on your own. I
would be pleased to send you a copy of the letter I sent to the
Seismology Committee in 1999 and which is in PDF format.

Respectfully,
Dennis S. Wish

P.S. When you don't have the resources to control or lead the industry
by nature of the strength of the firm you represent, then the vocal
criticism in the industry tends to lable one as a fanatic, complainer or
dissatisfied member of the profession. The fact as I see it is that the
biggest complainers are those who don't have to answer to company they
work for and are able to voice their opinions. More important, these
individuals make their living designing residential structures unlike
those who dismiss them and make decisions that wood structures should
comply with the same codes as concrete, steel and masonry. This is not
right.