From: vicpeng [mailto:vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net]
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 7:00 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: À Propos

Yikes.  Serious deja-vu here!  Even in the frozen wastes of North of 49, there are individuals (like some developers I have run across - I wish!) who haven't seen that connection yet.

E.g.  We can design in "plain" concrete, and our "residential" code allows (with no reference to the need to confirm by "plain concrete" design) top-supported basement walls up to 7'-6 1/2" with no mention of reinforcing.  It doesn't say, "Do not use rebar".  It merely doesn't say you must!  But if you do reinforce, then you must comply with the Concrete Code CSA A23, which immediately invokes minimum temperature and shrinkage steel etc.  That applies to walls as well.  And if you do some arithmetic then you will probably arrive at a required reinforcing content.  And, I've lost track of the number of times I have been asked why I keep putting rebar into foundations that John Doe has been building since Adam was a cowboy, without rebar!  Go figure :^)

Thor A Tandy  P.Eng, MIPENZ
Victoria BC
Canada