RE: IBC "Oops" (Was Residential Design Discussion)

Allen,

I have looked at the IBC 2002 committee changes on the ICBO website. It
appears that the 10/lw<= 1.0 is being supported for LIGHT-FRAME
STRUCTURES. This is good, but still does not address many of the issues
that Gary Searer brought up in his paper. The 10/lw<=1.0 should be
applicable to all structural systems, as a 9 foot concrete shearwall is
still treated as less than a single structural element-again this wasn't
the intent of the code according to Mr. Hamburger's account.

I would like to thank the structural members of the ICC including Ben
Yousefi, Chris Tokas, John Hooper, and others who have experience in
seismic design and hopefully pushed for revisions to RHO. While I
personally would like to have seen it (Rho) removed in its entirety,
this is an important step. It sounds like ASCE-7 has yet to approve
this, so hopefully I'm not jumping the gun in having some cause to
celebrate. RHO would almost always be less than 1.0 now in a residential
structure.

Mr. Gary Searer deserves most of the credit on the RHO issue in
delivering a clear and concise account of how flawed this provision is.

To see the proposed changes here is the link:
http://www.intlcode.org/codes/2002cycle/roh2002ibc_s.pdf

The amendments of interest are S43-02 & S49-02.

Now we need to fix the UBC or get IBC 2002 approved in CA. If we can't
get the IBC approved, the dead UBC must be changed somehow.

It seems we are no further on rigid diaphragms...

-gerard
Santa Clara, CA