RE: IBC and Rho factor

Hi Ben,

Thanks for sharing this. I hope we can have open dialogue like this and
not have it come down to being considered attacks on the messenger. I
respect your thoughts and effort in the code process, but I have to
disagree with your statements on this issue.

Now for my disagreements with you and Dr Gosh (with all due respect).

A 4 foot concrete shearwall is commonly referred to as a wall pier in
the code, 1921.6.13 in UBC. As are 3', 3.5', 5',6' walls segments or
even longer depending on the thickness of the wall. On a tilt-up
concrete building these wall piers may be all that we have to resist
shear on the street side of the building. If walls of these lengths
aren't good for anything, why even have a classification for wall piers?
Of course they are good for something and in many cases they are all we
have to resist shear. Depending on their fixity (located at a window or
full height opening), these segments can take significant amounts of
shear. The rigidities of fixed-fixed wall piers can suck almost all the
load out of similarly long wall piers that are cantilevered. Then we
have a problem getting rho to work simply because of the length of the
segment being less than 10 feet. Another effect of RHO on tilt ups is
that interior braced frames (preferred by architects to keep traffic
flexibility in warehouses) are automatic RHO=1.5 and are not used unless
absolutely demanded by the Arch.

I take exception to the Tri-Chapter and your plan checking staff on
their assertion that it is not a major point of contention with
designers. To be honest, I doubt they even look at the calcs that
closely to know. I have done several homes in the bay area and have
never been asked to comply with 10/lw > 1. And also to be honest, I
doubt most designers understand the implications either, they are told
to ignore it by there boss which was the case at my previous employment.
Designers probably don't want to bring it up to plan checkers in fear of
being asked to comply with the provisions.

Almost every house with a strong wall or hardy panel (loaded close to
allowable capacity) would have a rho = 1.5 and thus force all walls in
the structure to be designed for this increase. Plan checkers tend to be
overly conservative and without any responsibility of the design, why
would they care to not to make each house a bunker since they don't have
to answer to a client or contractor. Lightly loaded is a relative term,
but if you are going on a shear per foot basis, the wall length issue
becomes even more critical. An eight foot shearwall with 450 plf of
shear is penalized while a 10'-1" shearwall on the same line with the
same shear per foot is not penalized. Why if they are loaded the same
and "lightly loaded"? We already have the 2:1 aspect ratio for walls -
shouldn't that take care of these concerns?

Try making a discontinuous upper floor shearwall calc out with a rho=
1.5 and the omega of 2.8 and try to prove the hold-down wont just blow
out the side of the foundation. I don't call this lightly loaded. Half
the engineers out there say HD14 bolted into a double 2x4 and call it a
day - This is the type of stuff plan checkers should be looking out for,
not speaking on the behalf of designers they have an adversarial
relationship with.

Why is there a need for a penalty at all when the wall is less than 10
feet long? It was never the intent. The base shear for most structures
has gone up 20% minimum from 94 UBC to 97 UBC within 10km of a fault
(almost all of the bay area). How many houses designed under 94 UBC (or
91 UBC for that matter) performed poorly? Now we are asked to design for
50% more force on top of that because SK Gosh or a committee of building
officials thinks it's "not such a bad idea"? Why do we need to invent
reasons to justify a mistake (RHO in the 97UBC was the mistake)? This is
the problem with the codification process. In this case, SK Gosh spoke
for everyone and vetoed the intent of the original provision that no
penalty should occur for a shearwall of any material shorter than 10
feet long (See Ron Hamburger's comments on this list in 2000).

Hopefully you understand my point of view as I tend to ramble. Again, No
personal attack intended, just a professional disagreement :>).

Respectfully,
-gerard
Santa Clara, CA