steel retro fits

Title: steel retro fits

List,

I would like to get opinion on how best to approach adding area to a steel column without unloading it. My thinking was to use small welds and stitch maybe 3 @ 12 and go up the column. Then go with another 3 @ 12 adjacent to original and fill in with the 3rd and 4th passes of 3 welds. As far as evaluating how safe the column is during welding I am wondering if I can justify the column by neglecting the heat effected zone (how big is that) and checking the column. It’s a fully braced frame in both directions.

I will use strain compatibility to look at existing area vs. new area and how much each will carry. My thinking is I will not be able to add much strain so new plate will be at low allowable stress while column is high. Any insight on the weld effects using this approach would be appreciated.

Client intends to increase column loads after retro fit.

Robert M. Hanson,S.E.

Kappa Engineers

Carson, CA.

(310) 233-3800