RE: IBC "Oops" (Was Residential Design Discussion)

Allen,
I can tell you from experience that "yelling" at state legislatures does
nothing if you don't have the masses behind you to support your claims.
SEAOC is a strong lobbyist and has been for many years. Writing letters
to local congressmen do nothing more than attempt to balance a scale
strongly skewed in the direction of the code makers and code councils.

Yelling at the code makers constantly, causes people to open their ears.
Offering a solution does little until these same people are affected by
the restrictions that the code makers imposed upon us.

The 10/Lw issue was actually resolved many years ago as it was one of
two strong points which the volunteers on the code committees could not
dismiss so easily as it affected other structures. However, we are still
bound by the rigid diaphragm design requirements for low-rise structures
and Rho has not been changed for residential structures in the next CBC.

The majority of us have resorted to either ignoring the 10/Lw issues or
using proprietary shearwall systems with an R=4.5 for use of say Hardy
Frames as braced frames rather than plywood shear walls.

Even the design by Simplified Static Design principles requries the
designer to first prove the diaphragm is flexible which is virtually
impossible in structures with aspect ratio's less than 4:1 and which do
not have the mass of a masonry wall to convert the diaprhagm deflection
so as to make for a flexible diaprhagm.

So, what do most engineers do - they ignore the code and place
themselves in potentially liable positions. I suppose you can say that
if they ignore the full compliance issues in the code, they are,
essentially, thumbing their nose at the Seismology Committee and saying
- "See you in Court". If anyone of you get sued over these issues I and
an score of others will be happy to come to your defense because we
don't have the individual financial resources to seek legislative change
in the state and unless we move our SEAOC dues (I no long pay them) from
membership to a litigation fund, we won't see laws changed until we are
in a position to challenge them in court. Based on the position of
current companies supplying E&O insurance, it will be less expensive to
settle than challenge the law.

Dennis