RE: IBC "Oops" (Was Residential Design Discussion)

Dennis,

While you are correct that in the past the UBC would print the provisions
for concrete, steel, etc directly in the code, you should realize that
many/most of these provisions were still in fact from ACI 318 or the AISC
steel ASD/LRFD specification, etc.  I know this is true for the concrete
portions but am guessing for the other materials.  It is true, however,
the UBC (by way of the SEAOC Seismology committee) would extensively
modify the ACI 318 concrete provisions when it came to seismic related
design.  This was largely in the past due to the fact that ACI 318 did not
sufficiently address seismic design issues for concrete.  Since this is
no longer the case (there is a now a sub-committee of 318 that deals with
seismic issues and they even have an "appointed" member from SEAOC), there
is less need to modify the provisions of ACI 318 when adopted in the a
model building code.

The point is that while you did not have to purchase a seperate copy of
ACI 318, you were still essentially using ACI 318 (and I assume the same
is true for the other materials).

Unfortunately for you and others that live in UBC country, you are now
faced with what those of us in BOCA and SBC country have know and lived
with for a while...the codes now reference other standards which means
that after you buy the IBC or NFPA 5000, you still need to buy/acquire ACI
318, the MSJC (ACI 530/ASCE 6/TMS 402), the NDS for wood, AISC's ASD or
LRFD spec (although you can get the spec itself for free, the manual that
has the design aids, section properties, and all the specs is not free),
etc.  Welcome to the rest of the country!! <grin>

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI