RE: IBC and Rho factor

Dennis

We are still using our Tri-Chapter policy which requires increasing the base
shear by 20% if you do not wish to verify diaphragm flexibility and would
assume flexible diaphragm. We will soon be using the IBC criteria which
pretty much says the same thing, which is if you design per simplified
method 1630.2.3 (20% increase in base shear) you can use the flexible
approach for untopped steel decks and plywood diaphragms. I am not reviewing
many calcs directly, but based on my assessment from our plan check
engineers, most are using that approach.

There was an interesting presentation on this issue in the SEAOC convention.
You should be getting a copy of proceedings if you're a member. The SEAONC
had done a survey of building departments in the Bay area and the majority
are still allowing the flexible approach with or without a written policy.

Kelly Cobeen, the program manager for the CUREE wood frame project also
opined on this issue, that based on the research so far, for majority of the
wood framed buildings, the flexible approach would yield acceptable results
and in reality could result in a better design, since you would tend to
distribute the vertical LFRS in a more reasonable manner.

The last bullet of the SEAOC presentation on this issue was:

"many engineers continue to be RIGID! in their opinions on this issue"

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA