perforated gypsum shearwall

Gypsum board shearwalls are typically used for lateral load resistance in areas of wind and low seismic.  All current building codes include values for the design of the walls.  Of course, it is our preference to use wood structural panel shearwalls whenever possible, but in dealing with fire code requirements in many areas where gyp. would be required to be installed over the wood panels, we have to incorporate the gyp. shearwalls whenever possible due to architect and owner requests.
Greg Meyer

To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: perforated gypsum shearwall

Please explain why anyone in their right mind would use a gypsum board shear wall let alone to have it  perforated and design for it......

Joe Venuti

Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs,  CA