Re: steel retro fits (also, Multiple Yield Stresses)

In "Reinforcing Steel Members and the Effects of Welding" in 4Q90
AISC Journal, the author R.H.R. Tide discusses Brown's 1988
paper and concludes "Unless it can be shown that compression
residual stresses have been dramatically increased such that local
buckling is imminent, computation of separate stress levels for
different components to determine overall member capacity is not
justified."

AISC Design Guide 15 on retrofit is rather wishy-washy ("a
consensus is not evident"!!!), but it does go on to say "...a well-
known authority has stated that the strength of columns reinforced
under load and reinforced under no load is identical."  It references
the Tide article quoted above, as well as Brown's article and others.

Dave Evans, P.E.
TNH, Inc.