RE: perforated gypsum shearwall

Years ago, I was serving on the City of Tucson Building Code review
committee when a member of the committee (either an architect or engineer)
questioned why it is necessary to have a wallboard called inspection before
the joints are taped and mudded.  A contractor member of the committee
answered that the drywall installers are paid piecework and if there was no
inspection before the joints are covered up, you would end up with one nail
in each corner.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Samir Ghosn wrote:

. > I have yet to see any body follow the nailing schedule on gypsum shear
. > wall.  Generally, the drywall sub-contractor would put the drywall and if
. > you think the guy is reading structural plans, dream on.  During my
. > forensic tenure, I hardly ever encounterd any gypboard shear wall to have
. > the proper nailing or even the proper nail size and spacing.