From: Allen Adams [mailto:aadams(--nospam--at)ramint.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 8:23 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: FW: IBC 2000

"Transient" loads are any non-permanent loads (Wind, Seismic, Live, Roof,
but not Dead Load). This means, for example, that the Load Combination
given by Formula 16-9 of Section 1605.3.1 becomes:

   D + 0.75L + 0.75(Lr or S or R)

but if there is no Roof Load it is

   D + L

or if there is no Live Load it is

   D + (Lr or S or R).

You have to check all three combinations.

The 0.75 factor can only be used if there are multiple transient loads
simultaneously applied. It is to account for the lower probability that the
peak values of those loads will occur simultaneously.
Allen Adams, S.E.
RAM International