Re: perforated gypsum shearwall

Samir,
Fellow engineers,

        I generally don't regard the reliability of drywall shearwalls as
being satisfactory; neither do Canadian codes.  Never-the-less, I have to
upgrade an existing elevator shaft which has been framed in steel (details
posted on this list last week) for two reasons: to accommodate a new
elevator; and to provide one hour non combustible fire protection both for
the steel and for the adjacent stairway.

        To meet these requirements the shaft will be completely enclosed
using metal studs and drywall thereby building the existing steel framing
inside what will, in effect, become a shearwall.  Although the drywall is not
required for the purpose of carrying structural loads (and the only such
loads will come from the elevator, not the building) it will receive some
appropriate to use a fastening pattern (call it nailing pattern, screw
pattern, or whatever) conforming with standard shearwall requirements.

        Could one of you please be so kind as to scan and e-mail a few
paragraphs from one of your codes regarding drywall shearwall fastening
patterns.  Any code will do since they don't really apply in Canada anyway.

        Thank you very much.

Best regards,

H. Daryl Richardson
Calgary, Alberta, Canada.