Helical Steel Stairs Question

I’d cantilever the stairs off a stout central pipe column and consider the helices as providing minor load sharing and lateral bracing at the ends of the steps.

Mike Hemstad, P.E.

TKDA

Saint Paul, Minnesota

William Grizzell, P.E. wrote:

I've been asked to provide a design for a residential steel stair that ha=

s a double helix twisted shape, approx. 10 ft. high and has a 180 degree =

radius.  I plan on using cold rolled 12" channel for the stringers with w=

elded z-shaped plates for steps.  The stairs will be wrapped in wood.  An=

y suggestions on how to calculate this or other recommendations are much =

appreciated.

William Grizzell, P.E.