RE: Helical Steel Stairs Question

It is unclear about helical stairs. Are you  looking for a helical stair without column, i.e floor to floor support ? If it is, please look for a paper in the AISC Engineering Journal " Analysis of Helicoidal Girders" by A. Abdul Baki and Dean Bartel. If it is not the case look at the NAAMM web page for steel stairs.
Himat  Solanki

>>> nblackburn(--nospam--at)fdgoak.com 10/03/02 07:25AM >>>
I used to build wood helical stairs in a former life and that is exactly
what we did (in solid or hand-laminated wood), only without calcs etc.  What
are your inside(if other than a central post) and outside radii?  If you
aren't building off a central post, are you wrapping around an architectural
feature that would allow you to use it as a central "post" to cantilever
from?

Nick Blackburn, PE
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael L. Hemstad [mailto:hemstad.ml(--nospam--at)tkda.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 7:54 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Helical Steel Stairs Question

I'd cantilever the stairs off a stout central pipe column and consider the
helices as providing minor load sharing and lateral bracing at the ends of
the steps.

Mike Hemstad, P.E.
TKDA
Saint Paul, Minnesota

William Grizzell, P.E. wrote:

I've been asked to provide a design for a residential steel stair that ha=
s a double helix twisted shape, approx. 10 ft. high and has a 180 degree =
radius.  I plan on using cold rolled 12" channel for the stringers with w=
elded z-shaped plates for steps.  The stairs will be wrapped in wood.  An=
y suggestions on how to calculate this or other recommendations are much =
appreciated.

William Grizzell, P.E.