NEWS RELEASE

Building Safety Groups Vote to Approve ICC Consolidation

October 1, 2002

Visit our web site at www.intlcode.org

For further information, contact:

Greg West

Vice President of Marketing & Public Relations

(800) 284-4406, ext. 3267

E-mail: West(--nospam--at)icbo.org

Building Safety Groups Vote to Approve ICC Consolidation

History was made at the joint annual conference and business meetings of the nation's three leading

building safety organizations. Meeting in Fort Worth, members voted to consolidate services, products

and operations of BOCA (Building Officials and Code Administrators), ICBO (International Conference

of Building Officials) and SBCCI (Southern Building Code Congress International) into one member

service organization-the International Code Council (ICC). The new ICC is expected to begin

operations in January.

"The consolidation unites our nation's leading building safety experts under one common goal-to serve

public health and safety," said ICC Chief Executive Officer Bob Heinrich. "This will ensure that our

members and the public receive quality technical and educational services that support the ICC

International Codes [I-Codes]. The ICC will continue to service BOCA, ICBO and SBCCI with regional

code products as municipalities and states transition to I-Codes that have no geographic boundaries."

More than 97% of U.S. cities, counties and states that adopt model codes choose building and fire codes

created by the three building safety groups that make up the ICC. BOCA, ICBO and SBCCI have more

than 190 years of collective experience developing codes. Since 1994, that expertise has been focused

on creating I-Codes. The development of I-Codes also responds to the needs of the construction industry

and has strong backing from code enforcement officials, architects, engineers, builders, developers, and

building owners and managers.

"Action on the consolidation resolutions approved by members of BOCA, ICBO and SBCCI reaffirms

the construction industry's desire for a single model code system in the United States," said BOCA

Chief Executive Officer Paul Heilstedt. "ICC utilizes the strengths and resources of the three building

safety groups. It is positioned to enhance the prominence of the International Codes that set the standard

for building safety."

In 1994, BOCA, ICBO and SBCCI created the ICC to develop a single set of comprehensive,

coordinated model construction codes that could be used throughout the United States and around the

world. The first I-Code published was the 1995 International Plumbing Code. By 2000, a complete

family of 11 construction codes was available. The ICC Performance Code for Buildings and Facilities

joined the I-Code family in 2001. The ICC also introduced I-Code Commentaries and a host of other

products and services to strengthen its position as the leader in building and fire codes. "The members'

support to consolidate makes a new era for the public's safety and will represent a strong voice for code

officials," said SBCCI Chief Executive Officer Dominic Sims.

As ICC, the association will expand the wide range of technical and educational services, extensive

inventory of codes, standards and publications, and other code-related support services and products

currently offered by BOCA, ICBO and SBCCI.

"Our members have spoken. We will follow their direction. We will continue to work together for the

good of all to create an International Code Council that will provide world-class services to our

members, the construction industry and the public," Heinrich said.

The ICC was founded in 1994 as a nonprofit organization dedicated to developing a single set of

comprehensive and coordinated national model construction codes. The founders of the ICC are

Building Officials and Code Administrators International, Inc. (BOCA), International Conference of

Building Officials (ICBO), and Southern Building Code Congress International, Inc. (SBCCI). Since the

early part of the last century, these nonprofit organizations have developed the three sets of model codes

used throughout the United States.