Helical Stairs

Thanks for your replies to my helical stair question.  The stairs are in an atrium type area open to the second floor ceiling with a 22 ft. plate height.  So there is no way to install a column at the center radius point to cantilever the stairs from; without it looking like a firehouse pole.  The stairs have a 4 ft. and 7 ft. inside and outside radius respectively.  I was told that this doesn't meet the UBC provisions for alternative stairs - I'll tell the architect.  Anyway, I saw a program last night on the construction of cruise ships and they had a similar type stairs that they fabricated from steel plate welded into a helical box girder.

William Grizzell, P.E.
San Ramon, CA