Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 2:07 PM
Subject: Helical Steel Stairs Question

I've been asked to provide a design for a residential steel stair that has a double helix twisted shape, approx. 10 ft. high and has a 180 degree radius.  I plan on using cold rolled 12" channel for the stringers with welded z-shaped plates for steps.  The stairs will be wrapped in wood.  Any suggestions on how to calculate this or other recommendations are much appreciated.

William Grizzell, P.E.
Consulting Engineer - Structural
2278 Camino Ramon, Suite 12
San Ramon, CA