From: Michael Gregory [mailto:tetoneng(--nospam--at)ida.net]
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 11:24 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Cc: chris(--nospam--at)zzconsulting.com
Subject: Snap-Thru Buckling of Steel Domes

Having designed concrete building domes for years, we have been
approached by a steel supplier and asked if the same can be done with
steel.  We have been unable to locate any research or literature on
steel dome design.  Particularly, the formula for localized or snap-thru
buckling for a steel dome which results from an inward point load.  The
formula for a concrete dome doesn't work when applied to thin-shelled
steel elements.  Since this buckling could cause a dome to literally
turn inside out, it is the controlling factor.  These are
non-pressurized structures.  Any help?  Thanks!

Michael Gregory
Teton Structural Engineers
tetoneng(--nospam--at)ida.net