From: Lutz, James [mailto:JLUTZ(--nospam--at)earthtech.com]
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 1:14 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Eccentrically Loaded Baseplates

Anybody know of a good reference for estimating anchor bolt loads on column
base plates with bending in two directions?

I am evaluating some existing pipe rack frame connections where this is an
issue. The base plates are 18 inches square by 7/8", the column is
HSS8x8x.25, and the plate is anchored to a thick concrete slab with 8 each 1
inch diameter Hilti HY-150 anchors in 4 ksi concrete, 8.25 inch embedment.
The rack is subject to seismic loads and we intend to modify it to support
an additional 30 inch pipe. The frame can handle the loads just fine, but I
am concerned about the connection.

Jim Lutz, P.E., S.E.
Earth Tech, Inc.

10800 NE 8th Street - 7th Floor