Shotcrete -- Rebars Larger than #5, Testing

IBC § 1914.4.1 Size.  The maximum size of reinforcement shall be No. 5 bars unless it is demonstrated by pre-construction tests that adequate encasement of larger bars will be achieved.

I am adding flexural capacity to the exterior walls of a 1963 building using 7? shotcrete to cover the reinforcing steel.  With too many #5 bars, I am starting to weakening the existing roof and canopies.

What kind of pre-construction tests are suggested?

Thanks

Szuchuan Chang, SE Calif.