Re: Shotcrete -- Rebars Larger than #5, Testing

The precosnstruction tests are probably test panels required for bars in
excess of # 5 to demonstate adequate bond around the bar for larger
diameter bars.  Since the shotcrete application is with a nozzel required
to be at least 3 feet away from the shotcrete wall, panel. Larger diameter
bar tend to block coverage of back bar and thus weaken the bond strenght
for bar development.  I am not sure as to your statement about weakening
the existing roof and canopies.
Any way, I am drawing my conclusion based on UBC land provisions.
Samir Ghosn, PE
Harris & Associates