From: Ken Peoples [mailto:kspeoples(--nospam--at)lvta.net]
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 9:58 AM
To: Seaint
Subject: old wind speeds vs. new vs. weather station's

I understand that the current wind speeds are the 3-second gust speeds and that is why our area here in PA has changed from 70 mph to 90 mph.  What I am curious about is how either of these speeds relate to the speeds reported by the weather folks when they are talking about 90 mph winds.  Would this weatherperson's 90 mph be compared to our old 70 mph or our new 90 mph or neither?  Just curious.
Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
Lehigh Valley Technical Associates
1584 Weaversville Road