Re: old wind speeds vs. new vs. weather station's

Most likely, the weather person is not referring to either one.  The old code value in mph was for sustained "fastest mile" wind speed, the average speed of a mile long column of air.  The new three second gust reflects the revised measurement methods of the national weather service.

The speeds bandied about on television are typically instantaneous peak measured values (much more sensational) and do not correlate to either of the building code values.

----- Original Message -----
To: Seaint
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 7:58 AM
Subject: old wind speeds vs. new vs. weather station's

I understand that the current wind speeds are the 3-second gust speeds and that is why our area here in PA has changed from 70 mph to 90 mph.  What I am curious about is how either of these speeds relate to the speeds reported by the weather folks when they are talking about 90 mph winds.  Would this weatherperson's 90 mph be compared to our old 70 mph or our new 90 mph or neither?  Just curious.
Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
Lehigh Valley Technical Associates
1584 Weaversville Road