Fw: chat thread on gyp shear and steel

I passed on the seaint discussion for "steel bracing and gyp board" to my brother Dan Merrick and got this response.

David Merrick, SE

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 6:49 AM
Subject: Re: chat thread on gyp shear and steel

As far as I know, there really is no way to determine the design capacity of a shear wall from testing that considers strength and ductility. The only test procedures that I am aware of (ASTM) have a test method and no way to calculate a capacity from the result. I am a firm believer that Gyp has capacity but don't know how to determine what capacity. My best shot was the 1997 tests at SJSU http://www.engr.sjsu.edu/dmerrick/shearwalls/ . Dr. McMullin ( he needs to update his website http://www.engr.sjsu.edu/mcmullin/ )is running some more wall tests (with my help) right now to extend the earlier work. I would think that gyp on steel studs would work fine but the variety of available screws and the brittleness of screws would be a concern. McMullin and I tested some screw attached gyp on wood framing as a part of the CUREE project. Although the testing was intended to investigate damage thresholds, we did collect load data.

Dan