Re: Building Codes Online?

Not necessarily...what happens if those code publishers no longer decide
to publish codes since they can effectively recoup their costs to produce
those codes?  Will we be better off with individual states or local
jurisdications being forced to produce their own codes that could
drastically vary from the code in the next city, country, or state?  If
that scenario played out, then I would think that we would be worse off.

Now, I am not saying that this scenario would be the outcome (as implied
by the one judge's opinion per one of Dennis' posts), but you have at
least acknowldge that it is a real possibility.  It is also possible that
local and/or state and/or federal governments would be forced to step in
to provide the needed revenue that was eliminated by not making sles of
hte publications viable.  If so, then guess what...your taxes or permit
fees will go up.  And they would likely go up more significantly if the
current process is scraped and local or sate governments just produce the
codes themselves since there will be less opportunity to "share" teh costs
with other jurisdictions/groups.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI