Re: Building Codes on-line

Bill Polhemus wrote:

I believe wholeheartedly in appropriate government oversight--but too often
such oversight is NOT appropriate. One extreme example is the infernal ADA,
which did nothing but increase costs for the consumer and end up bankrolling
the bloated trial lawyers lobby to unbelievable proportions--as if any level
of excess is "unbelievable" where they are concerned.

My father spent the last 11 years of his life in a wheelchair. While ADA can go to extremes, I don't think it is too much to ask for us (taxpayers), society, and building owners to make things a little easier. Like most questions, defining "a little easier" can sometimes get you into those arguments similar as to the definitions of "the" and what constitutes sex. I leave these to the philosophers, I get enough metaphysical bafflement from the IBC or as Tolkien put it (if he was a structural engineer), " One code to rule them all and in the darkness stump them".

By the way, in the mid 90's, I took my father through northern Arizona to the various parks. In all the hotels it was easy to get a handicapped room and the restaurants were accessible. The worse places for access were the parks, especially the Grand Canyon. I think access in a wheel chair to the main lodge would have been easier if we went to the North Rim and had Evil Kneivel shoot us over using his cannon.