From: Structuralist [mailto:dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net]
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 12:41 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Building Codes on-line

I agree with the last portion of your response - related to online
dictionaries, encyclopedias, Theasauruses, newspapers and some journals.
AISC has been a leader in releasing information to the public, but has
also protected their database with a vengence. Still, they have
responded to the professional needs much more than some of the other
organizations. APA, CWC (this really includes AWC and AF&PA) also
represent organizations who have posted important documents for use by
professionals in their daily design requirements. Still, specific
methodologies required for the design of materials are carefully secured
and protected. It's more of a teaser, but a useful one none the less.
Manufacturers of products have much more information to share freely and
this is understandable as they do not require non-profit development
costs for testing and the publication of documents representing their
work.
Even still, I've had this dicussion with many who disagree, I believe
that it is the material associations and organizations responsibility to
provide designers with the tools they need to insure that the intent of
their work - to provide save, well-performing structures are adhered to.
The goal is to insure the safety and protection from major structural
failure of the products that the homeowner purchase. If the cost must be
reimbursed let it be in the production and cost of the product not the
library used by the design professional.

Dennis S. Wish, PE